Getting Started

Monterey County Residents

Unincorporated Monterey County residents containing wells and/or septic systems: Apply at the Monterey County Health Department using their greywater permit application (PDF download).  Your application will be reviewed by the Monterey County Environmental Health Bureau  to ensure that your greywater system observes required setbacks your onsite wastewater treatment system and wells.


City and Unincorporated County residents that do not use a well or septic system: Contact your Building Department to apply for a greywater permit using the greywater permit template(PDF download).

Santa Cruz County Residents

Unincorporated Santa Cruz County residents with septic systems and/or wells , City of Santa Cruz* and City of Capitola residents must begin the greywater permit process at Santa Cruz County Environmental Health Services (831-454-2022) using the greywater permit template (PDF download).  Once Environmental Health Services issues a clearance, you may apply for a building permit with your building/planning department.


Residents of the Cities of Watsonville and Scotts Valley, may apply directly to their local City Building Department to obtain a greywater construction permit using the greywater permit template (PDF download).

*City of Santa Cruz Public Works Department (Ordinance No. 2011-04) requires that City of Santa Cruz residents who install clothes washer systems must file a Clothes Washer Greywater Systems Installation and Maintenance Agreement Form with the Public Works Department.